Q- Describe the structure and function of different types of epithelial tissues. Draw diagram of each type of epithelial tissue.
Answer- The epithelial tissue are of main four types. These are:
1. Squamous epithelium
2. Cuboidal epithelium
3. Columnar epithelium
4. Stratified epithelium
1. Squamous epithelium is single layered flat and polygonal shaped cell.
2. Squamous epithelium is present in the alveoli of villi as well as Bowman’s capsule in nephron.
3. Squamous epithelium is mainly responsible for exchange of gases and ultrafilteration.
1. Cuboidal epithelium is single layered polygonal shaped cells.
2. Cuboidal epithelium is located in the germinal epithelium of testes and ovaries.
3. Cuboidal epithelium is mainly responsible for formation of gametes.
1. Columnar epithelium is a single layered pillar like shaped cells.
2. Columnar epithelium is located in intestine.
3. Columnar epithelium is responsible for absorption of nutrients from food ingredient.
1. Stratified epithelium has many layers of cell. It includes flat cells.
2. Stratified epithelium is located in epidermis of skin of tetrapods.
3. Stratified epithelium is mainly responsible for protecting from injuries and entry of germs.