Q- Give main characteristics of the Ganga River system?
Answer- The main characteristics of the Ganga River system are as follows:
1. Ganga is one of the largest rivers of India. The Ganga river originates when two major rivers Bhagirathi which originates from gangotri glacier and alaknanda in devprayag in Uttarakhand to form Ganga river.
2. Ganga river is joined by several Himalayan rivers such as Yamuna, Ghaghara, Gandak and the kosi river.
3. The main tributaries which comes from the peninsular uplands are the Chambal, the Betwa and the Son joins Ganga river.
4. The Ganga river emerges from the mountains all falls into the plains in Haridwar.
5. The Ganga flows eastwards till Farakka in West Bengal. This is the northern most point of Ganga Delta.