Skills required to become a great webmaster:
So building a website isn’t the big mystery it used to be, but there is a difference between building a website and building a website that is successful and makes money. . To me, this is a complete set of skills and you will only be successful if you master (at least in part) all of them. Here is a rundown of what I think it takes:
1. Some technical knowledge. Note I’m only saying a few because you don’t really need to be able to program to build a website, most out-of-the-box platforms look great from the start, for example wordpress, but it is handy to know a little bit of html.
2. Design know-how. Again, I’m not really talking about this from a technical standpoint, just from the standpoint that you know what looks good and what doesn’t. Having an eye for creating something that people find easy to use is also very important.
3. Marketing. Probably the most important factor and worthy of more than just a paragraph here. However, you really need to know what you are doing here if you are investing any money in the business, the only real way to learn is to practice, so it is best to start with a small project / site before you go crazy. .
4. Perseverance. Also very important and in fact the one that causes the most failures. Building a successful site can take a lot longer, so how do you go about doing this? And if that fails completely, do you have the will to start over, most people don’t.
5. Analysis. Fancy word, but all that means is the ability to figure out what works / doesn’t work for your site and why. It could be anything from what your SEO efforts are failing to why visitors are not converting into sales. It’s this ability to interpret statistics in action and adapt what you do that sets great webmasters apart from others.
Five points seems a bit scarce for what can be a huge process, but you still need a foundation to get started so hopefully this helps. Part of the problem I find in trying to document a lot of this website building process is that there is too much to cover, plus the fact that everyone has their own process of getting things done and overloading them. people with too much information could do more harm than good! However, I hope that the above tips will help you if you are considering starting a site.