Q- Who was ‘Father Gapon’? Narrate the events leading to the ‘Bloody Sunday’ incident and the 1905 Revolution.
Answer- Father Gapon was leader of the procession of workers, who marched towards the Winter Palace in St. Peterberg. He was one of the leader who raised voice and worked alot to provide proper right to factory workers.
Events that leads to Bloody Sunday event are as follows:
- When this procession of the workers reached the Winter Palace, it was attacked by the police.
- Over a hundred workers were killed and about three hundred wounded.
- This incident was known as ‘Bloody Sunday’ started a series of event leading to the 1905 Revolution.
- Strikes took place, universities closed down and student bodies staged walkouts.
- Lawyers, doctors and Engineers and other middle class workers formed unions and demanded a constituent assembly.