Q- Give reason why parts of Rajasthan, Gujarat and the leeward side of the Western Ghats are drought prone.
Answer- Some parts of Rajasthan, Gujarat and the leeward side of the Western Ghats are drought prone because of the following reasons:
1. The Arabian sea branch runs parallel to Aravallis, providing no barriers to the clouds, leaving it again a dry region.
2. Western Rajasthan and parts of Gujarat and desert type regions with extreme climate. Intense thermal heating, makes the desert land very dry.
3. The Bay of Bengal branch is unable to reach up to western part and in winters even western disturbances also hardly give any rains to this region.
4. As a result, regions lying at the same latitude are unable to receive rains, if they are on the leeward side of the Western Ghats.
5. The leeward side of the Western Ghats also lies in the rain shadows of S.W monsoon.