Q- State the chief characteristics of the hot weather season in India?
Answer- The chief characteristics of the hot weather season in India are as follows:
1. India experiences the hot weather season or summer in month of March to May.
2. The temperature in the Northern plains of India is between 41°C to 45°C and in the Deccan plateau the temperature is between 35°C to 38°C.
3. During the hot weather season, strong, gusty, hot, dry winds known as ‘Loo’ blows. Direct exposure to these winds may lower the temperature.
4. Dust stroms are very common during the month of May in northern India. These storms bring temporarily relief as they lower the temperature.
5. Towards the end of May, an elongated low pressure area develops in the region extending from the Thar Desert to Patna and Chotanagpur plateau.
6. This is also the season of localized thunderstorms associated with violent winds and torrential rains known as Kaal Baisakhi in West Bengal.