Q- Why are the Shivaliks ranges prone to landslides and earthquakes?
Answer- Shivalik ranges are also called as outer Himalayas as it is located in the southermost rehion of Himalayas. The Shivalik ranges are prone to landslides and earthquakes because of several reasons. Some of the main reasons behind it are as follows:
1. Shivalik range is the youngest range of the Himalayas that’s why they are more prone to earthquakes and landslides..
2. The Himalayas of Shivalik range is formed of unconsolidated rock material so this increases changes of land slide in these Himalayas..
3. The hills of shivalik range are still in progress of folding because it is the youngest range of the Himalayas. This is the reason behind earthquakes in shivalik range.
4. The Himalayas in Shivalik range are formed of alluvium, sediments and gravel that is why they are weak in nature as compared to Himalayas of other ranges.
5. Shivalik ranges are prone to landlines and earthquakes because they are located in the convergent tectonic plate of Eurasian and Indo-Australian plate.
6. Shivalik range lies near river valley and it is composed of alluvium, gravel and other sediments so that it is more prone to landslides or soil erosion.
We have provided you several reasons behind why shivalik range are more prone to earthquakes as well as landslides you can learn and 5 reasons of them to answer the above question. And if you have any other question in your mind so you ca tell us in comments.
Tags: why are the Shivalik ranges prone to landslide and earthquakes