Q- Why is there a need of food security in India?
Answer- Food security refers to the state of having reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable nutritious food.
Today, food insecurity is the biggest problem for India as there are many people who are below the poverty line or food insecure.
Food security for all people is very necessity for developing India. The main reasons for the need of food security in India are as follows:
1. Because due to natural disaster or any calamity the food production decreases because of crop failure.
2. Several people die every day because of scarcity of food or starvation.
3. Due to shortage of food the prices of food grains rises rapidly and reaches the limit that poor people cannot afford it.
4. Food security is needed in India because if people of India are food insecure so there will be a large starvation and the death rate of Indian would increase.
Due to high number of food insecure people in India the Indian government had introduced or launched several other programmes to reduce poverty in India. Some of the most popular or successful poverty alleviation programmes which were launched by Indian government are as follows:
1. Food for work program
2. Integrated Child Development Services
3. Antyodaya Anna Yojana